For the third time in a week, deadly clashes erupted near Egypt’s Defense Ministry when military policemen fired tear gas and water cannons and threw rocks to disperse tens of thousands of protesters, in a sign of growing tensions as the country nears the end of a turbulent 15-month political transition.
The latest bloodshed, which left at least two people dead and hundreds injured, started after thousands of protesters marched peacefully to the ministry, defying a warning by the ruling military council not to approach the building. The fighting started quickly, seesawed near a front line for hours, and then spread, in skirmishes that left bloodstains on the sidewalks of the surrounding neighborhood.
About 5 p.m., backed by reinforcements in armored vehicles — and armed residents — the army had scattered the throngs of protesters and set up barbed wire checkpoints as the military announced a curfew from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
The clashes came a day after the generals who took power after President Hosni Mubarak’s ouster delivered an impassioned defense of their rule, asserting their authority during the transition in a televised news conference, as well as their determination to hand over power after presidential elections that begin later this month.
The violence this week reflected protesters’ doubts about the military’s intentions and anger at the generals over bloody episodes that have occurred during the transition. And it laid bare a current of anxiety that is tempering excitement about the elections, as interest groups fight for influence and resentments come to the fore.
- tonanzin-x likes this
- pmarierose likes this
- digitalfreedom4egypt reblogged this from kileyrae
- egypt-is-the-shit likes this
- surayyakhan likes this
- chrryblssmninja reblogged this from kileyrae
- pflugerville likes this
- masreyameyameya reblogged this from anonymousmilitant and added:
- unprivatediaries likes this
- masroora likes this
- horreyah likes this
- malakmalika likes this
- the-realistic-hijabi reblogged this from sab-r
- edwardsnowdenhands reblogged this from sab-r
- sweetoleander likes this
- sab-r reblogged this from anonymousmilitant
- kaylinviazanko reblogged this from amodernmanifesto
- anonymousmilitant reblogged this from amodernmanifesto
- 46613266 reblogged this from sinidentidades
- ilikemymenlikeilikemygrunge likes this
- basicmarxism reblogged this from thepeacefulterrorist
- thepeacefulterrorist reblogged this from delusions--ofgrandeur
- troublicious likes this
- delusions--ofgrandeur reblogged this from amodernmanifesto
- aqwat reblogged this from sinidentidades
- facelessinblack likes this
- zaman-al-samt reblogged this from sociopoliticaldribble
- sinidentidades reblogged this from amodernmanifesto
- amodernmanifesto reblogged this from sociopoliticaldribble
- hush-syrup likes this
- magicianjustinray likes this
- no-war-but-class-war reblogged this from jayaprada
- theamericanbear likes this
- kileyrae posted this